Sunday, January 28, 2007

3 minutes of lunch

here's a 3 minute piece of lunch conversation yesterday.


A: Baby, I think having a sit….like for you to sit down at a table, to have..just eating and conversation bothers you. You’re just not used to it. This is how I grew up. (Laughing) you’re so diplomatic, you gave me half the tofu.
N: It’s a bento..
A: How kind of you to give me half
A: No, seriously, I think the way you grew up, it’s, I mean, the way that you’re used to, it’s not like just sitting down, you need like the
N: ambiance
A: insufficient. Like talking, just talking at a table is not sufficient for you unless you’re at a restaurant
(2 sec)
N: mmm…
(3 sec)
A: this is how I grew up
(14 sec)
A: did you microwave all this?
N: no
A: oh
(3 sec)
N: these beans are good
(2 sec)
A: these are soybeans?
(6 sec)
A: I’ve never had soybeans like this
(2 sec)
A: you can have mine, I don’t really like em
(2 sec)
A: They taste like pork n beans
N: yeah, they taste like baked beans right?
A: uh-huh
(4 sec)
A: are you sure these are soybeans? For sure? I thought soybeans were round, more round like circular
N: uh-uh. Soybeans are shaped like this
A: I’ve had the kind that are different looking
(8 sec)
A: sitting around a table like this (3 sec) when you’re at home..I don’t think you’re used to
(3 sec)
A: When your mom cooks for you all, like when you were younger
N: yeah
A: what did you all do? What was the routine?
N: it wasn’t a routine. We didn’t always sit at the table or always (1 sec) but usually it was us three
A: uh-huh uh-huh
N: the kids eat together and the parents…because we…sometimes we’d go like watch TV while we eat
A: and your parents would sit together at the table?
N: yeah like they didn’t..they just like
A: OK
N: sitting at a table
A: always?
A: and then sometimes all three of you would sit with your parents?
N: umhmm
A: but it was never like
N: there was no standard
(2 sec)
A: odd. I told you how in my family we always sit at the same seat
N: (laughs)
A: we always
N: we definitely don’t have that. There’s no assigned seats
A: that’s not how…it was never assigned but it was just like the given..just made it easier because like my parents would put rice on our plates but they would..some of us wanted more rice so my parents would know like whose plate was which
(2 sec)
A: even now, when my brothers come home or when it’s like holiday time and my brothers come home we still sit in the same seats
(2 sec)
A: (laughs)

1 comment:

moxie said...

This is my favorite conversation so far, the mixing of the trivial and the heavy, the soybeans and the family routines, the pauses and shifts.